(CF) is an inherited chronic disease that primarily affects the lungs and digestive system of about 1200 children and adults in the Ireland (70,000 worldwide).
While receiving salt therapy treatment at Kilkenny Salt Therapy, the patient inhales salty air which has bactericide, mucokinetic, hydrophilic and anti-inflammatory properties. If you are a carrier of cystic fibrosis, salt therapy treatment will bring relief by opening up the respiratory tract, clearing accumulated mucus and unclogging blockages in the bronchi and bronchioles. It also absorbs edema from the mucosa lining in the airway passages and reduces inflammation of the respiratory tract.
Salt therapy treatment at Kilkenny Salt Therapy also facilitates the drainage of sinusitis a common problem in patients suffering from cystic fibrosis. The salt therapy treatment sessions can also reduce your coughing and dependence on prescription drugs and gives a boost to your immune system. Salt therapy treatment replicates the natural microclimate found in salt caves and mines but has the additional benefit of a highly-controlled environment. The clinic has a spa like environment and treatment takes place in the Salt Room whose walls and floor are covered wit salt. Particles of salt are ground in the halogenerator and then circulated around the room. The halogenerator keeps up a flow of dry, clean air saturated with dry sodium aerosol.
Sessions in The Salt Room’s typically last for 45 minutes for adults and 30 minutes for children.
Salt is a natural expectorant which helps reduce sputum viscosity. The only side affects reported by a few patients were a mild throat tickle.Salt Therapy works well as a preventative treatment as we are constantly breathing in pollutants and allergens which can irritate the lungs with Cystic Fibrosis. When our lungs are weakened, it can have a significant effect on our health. The smallest cold can result in weeks of sickness. Breathing in salt as part of your ongoing maintenance can help the body to heal faster and remove irritants fast. Salt Therapy is not a cure; it is a support for your lungs to help open and relieve inflammation an congestion throughout your airways.
- Recommended Treatment:
- Frequency is the key to your Salt Therapy success with Cystic Fibrosis.
- Depending on age and stage of your condition, 20-30 sessions are recommended for long term results.
- Then follow-up sessions every two to three months are recommended to maintain the clear lung, clearing out retained mucus from the humps.
- The sessions should be frequent; about two or three a week is suggested.
- The best Salt Therapy results for CF are achieved by including it as part of your lung maintenance program. Depending on the severity of your CF and the other treatments that you are working with, once a week is often a good maintenance for most people. If you catch a cold or feel run down, add in a couple of extra treatments to help keep your lungs as clear as possible from infection. As your body responds to the treatment, you will find the salt will last longer in your body. This will vary from person to person.
Salt Therapy is a non medical, complementary treatment which has no side effects when used with your normal medication. Salt Therapy is not a cure; it is a complementary treatment that can relieve symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis.
Salt Therapy at home
Get more from your Salt Therapy success with our Salt Therapy at home products. Just like a workout at the gym once a week won’t make you fit, the success of Salt Therapy is coupled with our affordable at home products. Our salt therapist can show you how to include them as part of your Salt Therapy treatment and for ongoing maintenance.